We welcome students with learning difficulties and disabilities and our fully accessible learning environment enables all students to be included in
college life. When you apply to the college it is important that you let us know about your specific needs so that we can plan and provide the support you need when you begin college. The learning support available includes:
- learning support assistants
- personal care and mobility support
- specialist teachers and software for students with visual or hearing impairments
- dyslexia assessments and specialist support
- additional study support
- welfare suite for students with medical and personal care needs
- adaptive aids and equipment
- special arrangements in examinations.
Visual Impairment Specialist
Studied at University of London and Institute of Education, London and has been working at NewVIc for four years including two on secondment from Newham Service for the Visually Impaired at Tunmarsh.
“As a Qualified Teacher of the Visually Impaired I support students with a wide range of visual impairments on a one-to-one basis. I assess student’s vision and produce action plans recommending teaching strategies and resources. I adapt teaching materials into large print or braille, and recommend exam access arrangements. I teach students how to use assistive technology and work with teaching staff to give students the best possible access to the curriculum.”