Level 3 BTEC Foundation Diploma/Extended Diploma Travel and Tourism
Why do most countries invest so much in their Travel and Tourism industry? This sector is one of the fastest growing in the world and provides more than 250 million jobs worldwide. If you want to be a part of this exciting industry, then this is the subject for you. Through work experience and visits you will learn about the skills required for work in this industry; gaining insight and understanding of this varied and interesting sector.
Level 3 BTEC Foundation Diploma/Extended Diploma
Foundation Diploma: one year
Extended Diploma: two years
Four or more A*-C grades at GCSE, including a grade C in Mathematics or English Language. Students currently taking an intermediate vocational course will need a full Level 2 Extended Certificate with merit in a related subject, a grade C in either English Language or Mathematics.
In some circumstances improved performance in Functional Skills may be accepted where a GCSE has not yet been achieved.
What will I study?
The course will focus on:
- developing your business and event management skills
- exploring the appeal of worldwide tourist destinations
- enhancing your employability in preparation for working in the sector
On the course you will:
- discover the way the industry works through investigations and case studies
- personally experience the industry through day and residential study visits (in the UK and Europe)
- discover the methods that are used to build a successful and vibrant sector
- work in the industry during a two-week work experience placement each year
- gain an insight in to the employability opportunities available within the sector
- gain a conversational modern foreign language NVQ
Method of assessment
Assessment is through internally assessed assignments (58%) and external assessment (42%).
What will I be able to progress to?
You can choose from a wide range of options after completing your studies, including going on to higher education or entering employment in areas including the airline industry, Events Management, Hospitality or visitor attractions.
To help you develop your experience, you will be expected to participate in all visits. The college will be able to provide some assistance towards the cost of them.
Students recently visited Majorca to learn about the tourism industry, including the role of a holiday representative and the different attractions aimed at tourists.