Level 3 BTEC Foundation Diploma/Extended Diploma Sports Development, Coaching and Fitness
You will develop your interpersonal communication skills and learn to understand issues that affect personal Sports performance. Cover topics that link closely to specific employment areas and have the opportunity to work with children in the community. Learn about fitness testing programmes and the nutritional value of diet and performance. There are also opportunities to participate in the Sports Leadership Academy.
Level 3 BTEC Foundation Diploma/Extended Diploma
Foundation Diploma: one year
Extended Diploma: two years
Four or more A*-C grades at GCSE, including a grade C in Mathematics or English Language. Students currently studying an intermediate vocational course will need a full Level 2 Extended Certificate with merit in a related subject, a grade C in either English Language or Mathematics.
What will I study?
The course will focus on:
- fitness testing and fitness training
- Anatomy and Physiology
- practical sports (team and individual)
- nutrition for sports performance
On the course you will:
- develop communication skills and leadership qualities through organising sports events
- study theoretical aspects of sports performance
- plan, implement and evaluate fitness training programmes
- work productively within a team
- have the chance to gain a Level 2 Fitness Instructor qualification
- experience an exciting course-related residential visit
Method of assessment
Assessment is through internally assessed assignments (58%) and external assessment (42%).
What will I be able to progress to?
You can continue with your studies in sport at university.
Taking part in our Leadership Programme will give you coaching qualifications that will equip you to coach a range of sports.
You will be required to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) form confirming that you have no criminal convictions that prevent you from working with children or vulnerable adults. It will be administered by the college at the start of the course. The cost is £20 (non-refundable).
As part of the programme, students will have the opportunity to experience a course-related residential as part of their second year studies.