Level 3 BTEC Foundation Diploma/Extended Diploma Mechanical Engineering
- 4 year success rate of over 91%
- NewVIc Mechanical Engineering students make better progress than 90% of students on this course nationwide.
- Our student go on to Queen Mary, Brunel, Kingston, LSBU, Greenwich and Westminster
- Excellent employer links with a broad range of engineering companies.
This course will focus on developing knowledge of mechanical systems, Engineering design, analysing problems, designing and implementing solutions. It also provides in-depth knowledge of Engineering materials and applications.
Level 3 BTEC Foundation Diploma/Extended Diploma
Foundation Diploma: one year
Extended Diploma: two years
Four or more A*-C grades at GCSE, including Mathematics. Students currently taking an intermediate vocational course will need a full Level 2 Extended Certificate with merit in a related subject and a grade C in Mathematics.
What will I study?
The course will focus on:
- safety in engineering
- manufacturing methods
- Mechanical Science
- mechanical principles and applications
- materials technology
- Engineering drawing and design
- technical communications
- Engineering projects
On the course you will:
- develop your research skills
- advance your technical knowledge
- design and create your own mechanical solutions
- develop your mathematical skills
- complete a project on a related topic of your choice
Method of assessment
Assessment is through internally assessed assignments (58%) and external assessment (42%).
What will I be able to progress to?
On completion of the course, you will be able to choose from a number of options including going to university to study Mechanical Engineering, Production Engineering, Civil Engineering, Engineering or Business-related degrees. You could also seek employment as a Technician, Trainee Manager or Junior Engineer.